Candy crabapple recipe (如何做海棠果脯)

2014-09-24 21:23 楼主
You may not find any fresh hawthorn berries in Canada, but you can find plenty crabapples in almost every community. Most of time, they are free for pick up. I made some delicious candy crabapples last week, they taste very good. 非常像冰糖葫芦的味道. So I share my recipe here with everyone.

Material list:
1. sugar: 500g
2. fresh crabapples: 500g
3. tooth picks (5-10)
4. cooking pot (medium)
5. water (enough to melt the sugar, but not too much)

Instruction:
1. Pick and wash clean your fresh crabapples.
2. Use a tooth pick to pock holes on each crabapple to make sure sugar can get into the crabapples eaily. (Tip: important not to pock too many holes, otherwise when the crabapples are boiled in the later step, they tend to break to small pieces.) Put all crabapples into a glass jar (or a container which has a lid. Plastic container is not recommended here because it needs to handle boiling hot water).
3. Add water and sugar into the cooking pot, then turn on the heat/fire. Bring the sugar water to boil. Then turn off the fire.
4. Pour the hot water into the container filled with crabapples (pour the water on crabapples to avoid breaking the container if you use a glass one).
5. Cover the container and let it sit at a dark place for 24 hours.
6. Pour the juice out from the container back into the cooking pot, bring it to boil again for a while (around 5-10 minutes, watch it and don't let your juice dry out on fire).
7. Repeat step 4-5.
8. Pour the juice and crabapples together back into a cooking pot. Boil crabapples into the sugar water until you see the crabapples are all half transparent. (Be careful not overdo this step, or the crabapples will break to small pieces)
9. Turn off the fire and let crabapples and juice to cool.
Now you have your own candy crabapples! They taste sweat and sour and are very much like the old Chinese style "Bing tang hu lu" - hawthorn berries in ice sugar.
Store your candy crabapples in fridge is still recommended. But if you can finish them in few days, you don't have to put them into fridge, room temperature is ok.

Enjoy, and let me know how you make your own. Share your experience here with your friends. I'm looking forward to taste your candy crabapples.
[阅读:] [回帖] [编辑] [删除] [举报]
2014-09-24 23:44 2楼
谢谢飞虹版主!流口水中
要反复用糖水腌渍海棠果啊。干脆给您这道甜点起个名“糖渍海棠”
如果改用冰糖,就叫“冰糖海棠”
2014-09-25 09:44 3楼
ctcmy101 说:
谢谢飞虹版主!流口水中
要反复用糖水腌渍海棠果啊。干脆给您这道甜点起个名“糖渍海棠”

我这也是从网上学来的,原本是把最后一步做好的海棠果阴干,就成了海棠果脯。但是我比较懒,而且大家都急着要吃,我就把阴干的步骤给省了。
这个“冰糖海棠”名字不错,回头我独家经营好了 ,加拿大出产纯天然冰糖海棠。
2014-09-25 10:59 4楼
海棠比不了山楂。山楂还活血化瘀消食。
2014-09-25 12:04 5楼
文子医生 说:
海棠比不了山楂。山楂还活血化瘀消食。

我也想弄点新鲜山楂,可惜加拿大这地方就只能长海棠。估计美国那边会有新鲜山楂吧?这个配方要是那新鲜山楂做,那就更棒了!
2014-09-25 12:19 6楼
文子医生 说:
海棠比不了山楂。山楂还活血化瘀消食。

比较有意思,我查了一下,百度说:
山楂原产中国东北、朝鲜和俄罗斯西伯利亚。远在2000年前已有关于山楂的记载。山楂属植物广泛分布于北半球,亚、欧、美各洲。在中国,很多省(自治区)都有分布,华北、东北各省最多。
看来山楂可以在我们阿省种植的啊,怎么没见到呢?还是说这里的品种不对?
2014-09-25 19:21 7楼
天际飞虹 说:
比较有意思,我查了一下,百度说:

看来山楂可以在我们阿省种植的啊,怎么没见到呢?还是说这里的品种

应该可以买到树苗。
2014-09-25 19:38 8楼
果脯是不是蜜饯?
2014-09-25 22:49 9楼
天际飞虹 说:
比较有意思,我查了一下,百度说:

看来山楂可以在我们阿省种植的啊,怎么没见到呢?还是说这里的品种